Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Treatment



This website has great information on PCOS and treatments available.


There are no absolute causes known for PCOS. Likewise, there is no cure for it either. For that matter, there aren't any medications dedicated to this condition. The best they can do is substitute medications that help regulate cycles and treat as needed for some of the other symptoms women may have.


Because I do want to have more children, there is really only one non-evasive treatment available. I am on Metformin three times a day. This should help with my insulin resistance lowering testosterone levels and hopefully regulating my cycles. If I am lucky it could also help me ovulate as long as all the other before mentioned ducks are in a row. It usually takes about three months. At the end of three months I will continue the Metformin and start on a fertility drug called Clomid. Clomid is used for stimmulating ovulation. They only give Clomid under careful observation and only for about 3 months at a time. This means that if I do not get pregnant within that time frame, they will stop the Clomid and I will then be referred to a fertility specialist.


I am trying to stay positive about the whole thing but I will admit, it is hard to be optimistic.

1 comment:

Beth said...

What a trial to deal with, the one good thing is that modern medicine offers so many ways for us to deal with health problems. Though I'm sure the emotional trial of dealing with PCOS and the medication is more than you want most days! Keep going!